National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January being the birthday of Swami Vivekananda. In 1984 the Government of India declared this day as National Youth Day and since from 1985 the event is celebrated in India every year.
It was a decision of Government of India taken in 1984 to celebrate the birthday of great Swami Vivekananda, i.e. 12 January, as National Youth Day every year. The Government of India quoted that ‘ the philosophy of Swamiji and the ideals for which he lived and worked could be a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth Day.
10 INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES BY THE LEGENDARY AND WORLD RENOWNED MONK SWAMI VIVEKANANDA
- All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.
- We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
- Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life -think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
- All differences in this world are of degree, and not of kind, because oneness is the secret of everything.
- If money help a man to do good to others, it is of some value; but if not, it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid of, the better.
- You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.
- The moment I have realized God sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him – that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free.
- Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
- As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to God.
- When an idea exclusively occupies the mind, it is transformed into an actual physical or mental state.